Common Mold (Non-Toxic)

The black mold that you may see growing on grouting and walls of showers and bathtubs is unlikely to be dangerous. The most common mold is Cladosporium. Although it can be an irritant to those with asthma or respiratory disease, it is not known to pose any toxic hazard. It can be removed with various household cleaners. The most effective way to prevent it is by providing adequate ventilation. Vent fans should be installed in all areas where dampness or high humidity can occur.

 Toxic Black Mold

Black Mold or what is referred to often as Toxic Mold are common terms used to describe a slimy, greenish black substance which can result in a health risk. While toxic black mold is less common than other mold species it is far from rare. Cellulose is the only known host for the dangerous strains of Stachybotrys and Memnoniella, which produce mycotoxins. The mycotoxins grow in damp areas. Substances where this mold can be found include places where water has soaked wood. Ceiling tile, wall paneling, studs, cellulose insulation, drywall (gypsum board), carpet backing, cardboard and other items made of natural fibers such as cotton can act as a host. It can infest areas in the floors, walls and ceilings. Mold problems resulting from flooding should be treated professionally to avoid health risks. If the black mold is growing on materials that do not contain cellulose, it is unlikely that either Stachybotrys or Memnoniella are present. If you suspect Black Mold, have it tested before attempting to remove it.

Spores from dried mold are still dangerous and should be cleaned with caution. Never scrape or scratch dried mold, because the spores will become airborne and create a serious inhalation risk. A respiratory mask and eye protection are necessary and adequate clothing to prevent skin contact is recommended. Most mold infested areas are relatively small and are usually the result of small leaks or plumbing problems. If the problem is more internal such as on insulation or throughout a carpet, the only solution is to have the items professionally removed before being replaced. Moldy areas more than two feet in size are considered “heavily infested” and professional removal is strongly advised. Some insurance companies cover the cost of mold removal or remediation under certain circumstances. Check with your insurance agent to find out if you are covered.

According to the CDC, there are some preventative measures you can personally take to battle black mold.

  • Keep the humidity level in the house below 40 percent.
  • Use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months.
  • Be sure the home has adequate ventilation, including exhaust fans in kitchen and bathrooms.
  • Add mold inhibitors to paints before application.
  • Clean bathrooms with mold killing products.
  • Do not carpet bathrooms and basements.
  • Remove or replace previously soaked carpets and upholstery.